Instructions for General Anesthesia
- You are to have nothing to eat or drink after 12:00 midnight the night before your appointment–not even a sip of water.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, stay in the office during your procedure, and take you home. The driver and vehicle must remain onsite during the entire length of stay. Do not plan to go home alone, by bus, taxi, or on foot.
- Your escort should be prepared to assist you in obtaining your prescriptions at the pharmacy after your surgery.
- You must not drive a motor vehicle after a general anesthetic for the remainder of the day.
- Wear a loose-fitting, short-sleeved shirt or blouse for your appointment to allow for monitor placement.
- Remove your contact lenses.
- Bring your inhaler(s) if you have respiratory problems (i.e., asthma, emphysema).
- If you are prescribed medications that are normally taken in the morning or if we have given you a prescription to be taken in the morning, you may make an exception to the first rule and take this medication with a small sip of water.