Replacing missing teeth with dental implants is one of the most common reasons that patients visit or look into visiting an oral surgeon. The popularity of this procedure has spurred the interest of additional dental practitioners and corporate dental companies who now also offer dental implant placement services. Unfortunately, many of these practitioners don’t have the same level of training as an oral surgeon. That’s why we urge you to ask very specific questions of your doctor prior to selecting the right surgeon for your dental implant placement. Below we have listed 5 questions you want to consider when picking the right doctor for your dental implant needs.
- What is the level of your doctor’s training? Oral surgeons must complete additional training and gain in-hospital experience through their residency program before they gain the licensure to practice individually. Many other dental practitioners gain their training during a weekend course. The choice here is obvious! You can’t substitute for experience.
- How many implants have you placed? Once again, experience is key when finding the right person to place your dental implants. Most dental practitioners are not specialists and, therefore, are not consistently or even regularly performing dental implant procedures. In contrast, oral surgeons perform this procedure often; thus the answer to this question should be a high number relative to their practice.
- What is their success rate with implants? For your best recovery, you want to go to a doctor that not only knows the procedure but is almost always successful! Shoot for at least a 95 percent success rate.
- How long will the procedure take? A dental implant procedure should not be rushed, but it should also not take too long. Normally, dental implant placement should take no more than half an hour to an hour.
- Why wouldn’t I qualify for dental implants? The best way to find out is to schedule a consultation! By visiting the practice of an experienced oral surgeon, you will receive a consultation, which consists of a thorough examination and a discussion of your medical history or other factors that may contribute to forming a treatment plan.
It’s important to have all the information you need to make the best decision for your oral health. While dentists and other institutions may claim they can place dental implants, you want to make sure you are getting the best! To get the best, the most important thing to look for is extensive experience and knowledge about every aspect of the placement of dental implants. When you select a trained oral surgeon, you get both of these things! If you still have questions, or you are ready to come in and meet our skilled team, please feel free to contact one of our office locations and schedule a consultation at Beacon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons today.